[Diy_efi] Re: New toyota TCCS info

Jerry Wills jswills at attbi.com
Thu Aug 1 15:21:47 GMT 2002

> I am basicly looking to see what can be done with the Toyota TCCS i
> think i have identified the chip as a MC6801, there is some useful
> info on this site: http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html I
> would like to be able to extract code from the device but I have
> heard that this cant be done if the code is held within internal
> ROM, however the documents on that site show that the TCCS
> microprocessor has ROM, RAM and PROM (see this file:
> http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h14.pdf ) so I am a bit stuck,
> there is an EPROM version of the MC6801 called an MC68701 but is is
> UV erasable and has a window whereas the TCCS device does not.  I am
> interested in the 4a-ge engine both for my MR2 and for installation
> into a 1971 Spitfire. There is a company that does RWD conversions
> for them.

> It would be nice to extract the code so that I could play with the
> maps / TVIS points. Nobody seems to have attempted to alter these
> ECU's but there would probably be a big market for them if something
> could be worked out.

> Simon

If your ECU has 42 pins as many early toyota's did , then it may be a
ND, Denso or NipponDenso design/manf. I have an ECU from a 93 motorcycle
that is ND. The microcontroller doesn't have seperate memory or address
bus ,only has a data bus from it to Hitachi versions of MOT PIA and
PTM chips, 6321 and 6340.
What's printed on the chips and how many pins do they have.

I my case I currently believe that its a internal masked rom dedicated
microcontroller that was never sold as a component to build with. I
don't hold out much luck of getting the data from it or changing the data
in it.

I could build a test bench and collect all the data points for the different
conditions. Then adapt a programable ECU to take its place.

I'm starting to ramble, up all night and have smacked my head against the ND
wall plenty. Need some more facts about whats in your box, to see if it
decipherable.

Jerry Wills