[Diy_efi] injector drivers: how to pick

Eric Fahlgren eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com
Fri Aug 2 15:16:35 GMT 2002

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:

> Here's another basic question. From where should I source information about
> how to drive particular fuel injectors? Should I look to the injector
> manufacturer to provide implementation notes or whatever? I do see the info
> on particular drivers on the diy-efi.org site. However, I'd rather research
> a recommended range of drivers for the particular injector that I'm using.
> So far, that looks to be a Rochester 12V, saturated, at 12 Ohms.

If you stick with high impedance injectors, then your life will be much
easier, as you merely turn them on and off with a nominal 12 v signal.
Low impedance injectors (say less than 5-6 ohms dc resistance) require
either a ballast resistor (the easy way out) or a current limiting
driver.

There are a bunch of ways to skin the cat, the one with which I'm most
familiar right now is the MegaSquirt solution.  Look on page 3 of
this design:

   http://www.bgsoflex.com/v22/megasquirt_ShemV2.2.pdf

Read the notes on http://www.bgsoflex.com/v22/msv22.html about the
flyback voltages, starting with "If you look on the..."