[Diy_efi] Early Gasoline Fuel Injection

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sun Aug 4 19:51:56 GMT 2002

I don't know, but I thought all their U boats used diesels, the
 "original" fuel injected (but not gasoline) engine.   The
descriptions I have seen of several models only mentioned
2 to 6 diesel engines.  Show me the documentation.  Good
thing for us they didn't have the newly developed Kettering 2
cycle turbocharged diesel, used in locomotives worldwide
to this day.

On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 02:00:53 Mike <erazmus at iinet.net.au> writes:
> Wasn't it also used on German 'U' boats along with sequenced
> full load cylinder cycling, double ended headless bores
> and water injection - around 1941 ?
>
> EFI was mostly feasible due to power transistors - not to
> microprocessors (although they help a great deal with precision),

Power germanium transistors were on the scene by the end of
the 50s.  I had some interesting experiences on several projects
trying to keep them running under heat, they were very temp
sensitive.  We used to put dry ice at the blower input of a data
logging unit so they wouldn't hang up before the end of our
logging session.  Similarly, germanium was pretty hard to
use in an analog computer, being so temp sensitive.  With
the word "practical" in force, no EFI systems were ever fielded
in USA using germanium.

> There are a few analog only EFI systems, the analog processing
> could have been done shortly after the first germanium
> transistors

Analog processing of any significant complexity (say, like a 76
Cadillac EFI) could in theory be done by discrete transistors,
preferably silicon.  But blowing each of the 1976 $.50 integrated
circuits (about a dozen) into 100 descrete parts kind of invokes
the practical limitation thing again.

> - but it was only due to driver transistors which could operate
> solenoids at any sort of rate (and cost) before EFI controllers
> started to become really viable -

Power transistor certainly are a great compliment to ICs.  But
drive transistors, even the silicon ones, were on the scene first.
Despite that, EFI in USA awaited practical ICs.

Bruce Roe