[Diy_efi] MAF calibration

Porter, Bill BPorter at onealinc.com
Sun Aug 18 14:21:54 GMT 2002

Tom,

Recalibrating the Ford EEC-IV is actually very easy if you have the right
tools and you are willing to spend a little time with the software.

Where to start.  Purchase either an EECTuner from Performance Specialties at
http://www.iwantperformance.net or a twEECer from http://www.TwEECer.com
They both do the same thing which is allow you to reprogram spark, fuel, air
flow (including mass air recalibrations for different MAF and injector
sizes, timing, etc.  Almost anything that the Ford engineers programed in,
you can change or modify.  Lots of tuning advice can be found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EECTuner or
for Ford EEC-IV powered 2.3 liter cars with turbos

An alternative to either of these is to go to an Autologic dealer/tuner.
They sell "chips" that will reprogram the car for you.  You can't change the
chips unlike the products above.  You have to go back to the dealer, which
can be a good thing if you don't ever want to change things again or don't
want to learn how to program.  Also many Dynojet or other dynometer
operators offer this service.  This is nice because you can use the results
of the dyno and Wide band to get things just right but a true DIY'er would
build a DIY WB and do his own testing (he he).  With either the EECTuner or
the twEECer you can program to your hearts content.

The answer to your second question is yes, a change to the basic MAF size is
a viable alternative.  See answer above for ways to do it.  There are people
there who adjust the EEC to control superchargers, turbochargers and I use
it to control my 450 hp 377 ci daily driver that uses an EEC-IV.  As
anything that is worthwhile it does take a little time to learn what to
tweek but lots of people have already done it, so getting answers is easy.

Bill