[Diy_efi] Fixed frequency PWM batch mode FI

Les Dittert lesd at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 20 20:36:08 GMT 2002

Mine is also air cooled  Volkswagen, turbocharged.
My only concern is having a beat frequency between the engine RPM
and the pulse rate.  In thinking about it more I just need to guarantee
the pulse rate is higher than the RPM. I want to use a small
microcontroller
for this engine.  While it is possible to control the rate of the PWM,
it would then
perhaps require a crank sensor which is added complexity.
I figured since some General Motors engines do batch fire of all
injectors
simultaneously, they would run into the same problems of uneven fuel
distribution
if I'm not mistaken.  The other limitation might be getting low enough
fuel rate
for idle, because of multiple injections happening with very short pulse
width.
I want to keep the system very simple, so I am using a mass airflow
sensor to
avoid having fancy multidimensional lookups. A couple of lookup tables
should do it.
I'm not delegating a mission to this either. I'm using a crane hi 6 with
boost retard
and that should work fine for this simple engine. Anything is better
than the two carburetors that are on there now!

-Les