[Diy_efi] Logging software for the 5300 FMD

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Wed Aug 21 19:57:12 GMT 2002

Bruce,

I understand that Peter raises a wrong hair with a few of you on the list.

I just can't understand your logic.  On one hand a "free" (very loosely termed)
DIY-WB design is released on the net.  And on the other hand you seek to
artificially limit it's use.

I say "free" in quotes because the DIY-WB is gratis, not free.  There is a huge
difference between gratis and free.  The people that designed the circuit decided
that they wanted an EXTREMELY tight license on the design.  The problem with this
is that people will interpret that license, since it's rather vague, to meet their
own agendas.

You and Gar interpret it to mean that Peter is a pirate and stole the design for
profit.  Peter interprets it to mean that he can take the schematic, re-layout
the board, and sell the board at HIS cost.

Then there are a couple of people on the list selling DIY-WB boards, presumably
at THEIR cost.

In this entire wirlwind of crap that flows around the subject, one very important
thing was forgotten.

The DIY-WB is completely USELESS unless there are people who will step-up and make
the PCBs and assemble parts so that people can use the thing.

An idea is only an idea until you actually do something with it.

I can say right now that Peter has done more to further the DIY-WB project than
a lot of people have.

Here's a thought for you:  Could the DIY-WB license be construed to include derivative
profit of the design; indirect?  Just think of all the indirect profit that has been
derived by many people on this list.

--Perry

On Mon, Aug 21, 1995 at 10:40:32AM -0400, Bruce wrote:

> *Otherwise*, ie not pirated.
> Bruce

Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin