[Diy_efi] hotrodder seeks clue

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Aug 26 03:24:14 GMT 2002

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:

> but... I'm not an engineer -just a passionate hotrodder. The truth is that I
> don't know an oopic from an icepick. I'm lurking in the background trying to
> pick up as much as possible, but would really like to get more out of this
> group.

Well, if you're talking about the electronics side of things, the
"Introduction to Electronics" book by Forest Mims (at Radio Shack) has
served as a good introduction to countless generations of tinkerers.
Another oft-cited text is "Art of Electronics" by Horwitz and Hill, but
I would not call this a primer, rather a reference bible.  Although it's
intended as an introductory text, it often conveys a lot of information
in a few words, so it's far from what I would call easy reading.
However, if you make it through a few chapters you are rewarded with a
view of design which is both practical and theoretical (hence the "Art"
bit.)

Also, have a look at the archives of this mailing list.  It goes back to
'94, and I recommend the earlier volumes because there's usually a high
signal-to-noise ratio.  In particular there were a couple of guys from
Dearborn or Detroit that spoke (unofficially) from the horses' mouth.
Finding a good way to read the messages can be tricky, I recommend
downloading the raw mail files and importing them into your mail reader;
but you can also try the new web interface that Steve has been working
on.

Brian