[Diy_efi] Re: if YOU were bored enough to disassemble...

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Mon Aug 26 14:43:20 GMT 2002

Hi Dave,

> "Dave Gallant, 12 Point Racing" wrote:
>> have as much EE in me as a lumberjack. My end goal is to be able to flow
>> chart the entire code base within an EPROM on my particular ECU/EFI
>> hardware, thus being able to edit it once complete.

It seems that nice gm_ecm people did this on the other list
(with a probably different computer than yours).
However it seems to me that it's 10..20 times more work
to successfully twiddle with your factory computer's EPROM content
than build an efi board of your own. (and after that you'll
still be very limited with the copyrights!)
Dissassemblying a code like this can be a nightmare. All those
non-metric calculations. Depending on the uC one line
of C-code can be many lines of unreadable assembly.

Do you really have that much motivation (and hair)?
Want to tune dozens of such engines with little investment?
Think wice :-)

Brian's advises (start from the signals and map the code
from there) are very good if you really want to do it.

  Cell