[Diy_efi] veggie van

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Thu Dec 5 13:15:46 GMT 2002

Hi Lasse,

There are 2 ways to run a diesel on veggie oil.  The first way is to heat
the oil up to about 180 degrees so it is similar in viscosity to regular
diesel fuel.  This usually requires purging the pump and injectors with
regular diesel fuel just before turning off the engine to prevent coking of
the injectors.

The second way is to turn the veggie oil into biodiesel.  An
oversimplification is basically the glycerin is removed from the oil.  The
biodiesel can then be run at normal temperatures in an unmodified diesel
engine.
Biodiesel will soften natural rubber so the fuel hoses and seals should be
replaced with viton.  Many diesels already have only viton in the fuel
system.

Assuming good quality biodiesel, the engine will run cleaner and last longer
with biodiesel than with dinosaur diesel.

I ran my Audi 4000S diesel on filtered waste veggie oil with the diesel fuel
purge for over 75,000 miles.

With Propane injection too (obligatory EFI content)

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
day 631 344-4561
nite 631 286-5677