[Diy_efi] (off topic) Disk pad wear reduction with hydraulic reverse

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 5 13:14:58 GMT 2002

As we were on the topic of ABS and braking systems etc

I wonder if there are any systems that employ some sort of hydraulic
short/small "reverse valving" (or some such), to do this:-

a.	Allow normal brake pressure to apply brakes
b.	When pedal released, valve pulls/sucks back a small
	amount of fluid from the calipers to provide more
	clearance between pads and disk
	Clearly this would mean the disc pad and caliper piston are
	connected by more than friction. ie. Many pad brake installers
	use a little high temperature neutral cure silicone to help
	reduce brake squeal.

Such an approach would hopefully reduce disc and pad wear by forcing
the pads to retract (a small amount) from the discs, rather then
leaving it to disc perturbation in the absence of hydraulic brake
pressure. I've seen on many cars that a pedal release still drags
the pads a little...

Anyone know of any type of inline valve arrangement which might be
suitable, manufacturable, adaptable, usable, tryable ?

Rgds

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
Some power/auto stuff here:-  http://www.iinet.net.au/~erazmus