[Diy_efi] OT: ABS retrofit into older car...

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Thu Dec 5 20:41:44 GMT 2002

Lasse wrote:
> I not sure how good current ABS' really is, but, my initial thought
> would be that with an "ideal" ABS stomping the pedal and keeping it
> there would be the best approach, it should apply maximum possible
> breaking on all four wheels and as the weight transfer starts, move more
>   breaking onto the front wheels maintaning maximum on all wheels until
> the car is stopped.

Well, I can't back up my claim quantitatively. However, my racecar driver
instincts tell me that smoothly applying even ABS-equipped brakes will avoid
"shocking" and breaking loose the tire contact patches in the first place.
All ABS does is modulate the brakes faster than a human can once the tires
have already lost grip. Now, in the event that one has to maneuver while
braking, stomping on the pedal is *absolutely* a bad thing -ABS or no ABS.

> Trying to breake optimal yourself would only get you and the electronics
> in a fight, and take longer ??

Nah, smoothly applying the brakes pays dividends all over the place.
Stomping only upsets the car's balance, leads to nasty spins, gross
understeer, etc. Once the vehicle is balanced, however, it may be fine to
press harder and let the ABS modulate from there. -depends on the particular
car/driver combination.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut