[Diy_efi] Veggie van.

Eric Byrd klox at juno.com
Sat Dec 7 06:38:31 GMT 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:29:14 -0500 Ron Schroeder <rjs at bnl.gov> writes:
> And Biodiesel is a soler generated hydrocarbon fuel.  ;)
>
> The CO2 is closed cycle.

I don't think it's that simple.  McDonald's is going to do business and
make french fries no matter what we do, so there will always be lots of
used french fry oil, as long as no more than a few people use it to run
their cars.  But the cycle of growing food, tending it, harvesting it,
processing the oil out of it to burn in cars is not solar powered, and on
the scale of use that people use petrodiesel, Biodiesel would not be
solar generated, nor all the CO2 closed cycle.  That raises the question
"how much effort does it take to produce a billion barrels of petrodiesel
vs. biodiesel?"  These little hidden sources of non-renewableness reduce
the feasibility of so-called "clean" energy sources.

Whereas I know that if I use solar power to split water, that is closed
cycle.