[Diy_efi] Distributor cap Q

Bob Tom tigers at bserv.com
Sat Dec 7 17:20:04 GMT 2002

Hi

This may not be an appropriate for this list but, with the knowledge
base, I'd thought that I would try after coming up pretty well
empty-handed looking for an answer.

I had been experiencing bucking/hesitation/misfiring on the track
whenever the engine was above the 5500 rpm range.  I discovered
that the contacts inside the cap and on the rotor were coated
with hard, thick chalky deposits.  This is the first time that I've
seen a condition like this (been involved with autos. in one way
or another since the mid-50s).  I've seen burnt and pitted contacts
and contacts with mildew on them but nothing like this.

The contacts are brass.  My ignition is stock with the exception
of using copper Autolites one range colder than recommended
and about .003" less than recommended gap.

Does anyone have an idea what this deposit is and what would
cause it?  Thanks in advance.

Bob Tom                 Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,080 lb (truck, driver, 3/8 tank)
Dyno:  SAE corrected RW:    HP:  243.1 @ 5500      TQ:  259.5 @ 4250
            Calculated Flywheel:  HP:  313.7 @ 5500       TQ:  334.8 @ 4250
Track PB:   ET   14.313       Trap speed   95.92