[Diy_efi] Veggie van

Eric Byrd klox at juno.com
Sun Dec 8 09:43:57 GMT 2002

Pat,

You may be right.  You sound as if you are more thoroughly and
specifically informed than I am.  But  when someone says veggie oil is
closed cycle, that is not strictly true.  If any petrol was burned in the
planting, tending, harvesting, processing of veggie oil, it isn't closed
cycle.  It's a distinction that has to be explored to find to what extent
the idea is truly closed cycle, or we fall into the same trap as people
who buy a fuel-cell car, thinking it is "zero emissions".  If the
hydrogen came from water that was split by commercial utilities'
electricity, it is not zero emissions.  When someone says there is no
nonrenewableness in the biodiesel production process, they are wrong, if
any petrol was burned during the planting, etc. etc. etc.  But at least
it sounds like you can make a good case for biodiesel being cleaner than
petrodiesel, if not perfectly clean.  Good for you.