[Diy_efi] [diy-efi] ECU

Eric Byrd klox at juno.com
Sun Dec 8 09:43:38 GMT 2002

Glynne --

A guy I know from the Honda CRX forum, crx.honda-perf.org, name of Dave
Blundell, is good friends with another guy who frequents that forum,
named Mike "Xtensive", and both are members of a site called PGMFI.org, a
site dedicated to Honda EFI.  Dave is one of the administrators.  For
some time, a company in California called Zdyne has been making
Honda-specific conversion ECU's and their flagship, the Zdyne Gold, is a
programmable ECU that is boost capable and very user-friendly.  The
trouble with Zdyne is mainly that it is too expensive, and for a while
now, Mike and Dave and some friends have been working on an open source
programmable ECU application called GhettoDyne.  GhD 1.02 is already
available and in use, and a boost-support version of GhD is being
beta-tested.  I myself am shopping for a good fuel and timing control for
my turbo project for my CRX, and I'm holding out for the bug-free boost
support version of GhettoDyne, simply because it is nearly free.  But if
Ghetto Dyne isn't Honda-specific, it's still extremely Honda-friendly and
undoubtedly not so friendly to non-Hondas.  The exact specifications, I
could not provide presently.  But because I'm holding out for it myself,
and because it's free, I plan on becoming as well-educated on it as I
can, as soon as I can, toward the goal of helping Dave and Mike and
friends with tech support, and of contributing to future upgrades.  If
you think you can work with a Honda-based system, the hardware you need
to reprogram an ECU is one of the OBD0 Honda ECUs from 90 or 91, the PM6
or PM7, or also the PR4.  With GhettoDyne 1.02, you can change the fuel
and timing maps on any of these ECU's, and when the boost version becomes
available, you can use the stock Honda MAP sensor, reliable up to 9psi
gauge, to help control fuel and timing on a turbo-or supercharged 4 cyl.
engine.

I guess how useful this info is to you depends on what engine you are
trying to convert to fuel injection, and what hardware is available on
it.  With that in mind, I'll wait to hear from you before I continue.
Feel free to contact me privately.  I would have replied privately, but I
thought this news would seem interesting to some of the other fellas
here.