[Diy_efi] Combustion temperature for max power

Hugh Keir hugh at sol.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 18:20:32 GMT 2002

I have been playing around with the results from my DIY wideband for some
months now while tuning my ECU and am delighted with the information it
provides. Thank you Thank you Thank you to all involved.

I have an exhaust gas temperature sensor fitted and found that things were
getting a little hot on high boost.

I have now fitted a 50% water 50% methanol injection system and find that
the exhaust gas temperature on boost can be brought way down.

The Ideal Gas Law tells us that pressure = gas temperature * volume.

Question is:

If burning fuel + oxygen turns into heat and the heat gives pressure in the
chamber to move the piston down, does it then follow that you want the
maximum in cylinder temperature before melting things to get maximum
horsepower from your engine?

If this is true, the water methanol injection needs to be used to put a cap
on exhaust gas temperatures rather than hosing the mixture in to the
cylinders.

This may then raise the question of is it best to reduce the injection jet
size or reduce the % of methanol injected to bring the temperature back up.

Thanks

Hugh