[Diy_efi] EEC-IV and EEC-V

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Fri Dec 13 00:40:42 GMT 2002

Dave,

The EEC-IV and EEC-V markets are really not very user friendly.  There are very
few tools and less information on how to use them.

The hardest part of tuning the Ford computers is understanding how Ford made them
work in the first place.  The tools out there merely allow you to change settings.

To date I only know of 3 commercial tools for tuning and only one is really realtime.

The Tweecer is pseudo realtime in that you can get realtime datalogging from it,
but AFAIK you cannot tune settings in realtime.

The EEC-Tuner is non-realtime.  It's a serial flash adaptor more or less.  It
takes a downloaded patch file and applies it to the ROM and substitutes it's
own RAM for the EEC ROM.  It has extension code for some processors that allows
datalogging.

The last tool is the "Romulator" and Revolution software from Diablo.  Supposedly
this is the equipment they use to realtime tune cars themselves.  It's going
to be a very restricted distribution ("We don't want a bunch of people calling
us all the time for 'how to tune' support").

The first 2 solutions cost about the same IIRC, about $350-400.  The last solution
requires you to be a Diablo dealer on top of purchasing the equipment and paying
licensing fees to them (I doubt they will give up their ability to get a cut of
custom tunes).

--Perry

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:18:19PM -0500, Dave Dahlgren wrote:
> I have searched through the the archives and found a bit here and there about
> this subject what is current and the best tools available for this ECM. The
> closer to real time the better. Would gladly trade money up front for reduced
> time on the dyno..
> Dave

Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin