[Diy_efi] Combustion temperature for max power

Eric Byrd klox at juno.com
Fri Dec 13 07:31:27 GMT 2002

It seems to me, not knowing much about the specifics of this topic, that
having extremely hot exhaust gases is a symptom of inefficiency in your
cycle.  Heat = energy lost.

Plus, I have heard there is a relationship between fuel mix and EGT,
reliable enough that you can use it to diagnose fuel problems.  I have
heard the optimum EGT is 1500 F, and that 1800 F is hot enough in the
exhaust to denote cylinder temperatures hot enough to melt aluminum
pistons.