[Diy_efi] Combustion temperature for max power

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Fri Dec 13 10:24:13 GMT 2002

>From what I have learned on the dyno over the years is 1350 for a N/A piston
engine works well and 1500 to 1700 on a turbo high boost engine is common. That
N/A engine on a very long straight away ( Bonneville Salt Flats 5 miles) will go
to 1500 to 1550 once it stabilizes.. I have also found that is just as linked if
not more so to the timing as well. Advance the timing and it will get colder
until you go too far, retard it and it will heat up some. The problem with the
turbo seems to be that they are generally set up too rich for safety and timing
retarded too much for safety and the EGT is at the moon because the engine is so
"safe'.

Dave