[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Sun Dec 15 23:09:16 GMT 2002

Eep the atomisation spectre again. Having epoxied mounts in for the 2nd set
of injectors on my manifold I keep wondering if I should have fixed on an
upper set as well for experimentation. Nope, its a rotary, it'll never get
good gas mileage :-) Mind you with a tad of H20 I'm interested in finding
where the lean limit is.

Back to the original questions though. Swing over to www.diy-wb.org and
there you can find out how to build a wide-band 02. In a stationary app I
would hazard that EGT +NB + plug cuts might be close, but toy value is
excellent.

As for the actual EFI. If you are not after meeting any emissions regs you
can build very simple EFI. Have a search on how some of the old Bosch stuff
worked. K-jet was all analogue. You can implement a workable EFI system with
a 555 and a few op-amps if you approach it correctly. Especially if you only
have a limited number of operational states.

For reading on economy it is also worth having a read of anything you can
find on aviation engine control. As planes in level flight are effectively
at a single load point and there is very little qualified in terms of EFi
the pilots manually lean the mixtures to get best BSFC, which is not
something you can easily do with a car. If I understand it correctly you
want to open the throttle whilst leaning the mixture until you reach the
lean limit or WOT.  I would be willing to wager that some of the fly by wire
throttles do open up on cruise to reduce pumping losses? Love to know how
they recover from that when you mash the throttle.

Bill