[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

James jester at splorg.org
Mon Dec 16 01:30:29 GMT 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Perry Harrington wrote:

> If you don't already have an EFI expert (or Internal Combustion Engine expert)
> on the team, then you would do well to find one.

Or become one.  :-)

> I don't know if your competition has specific fuels mandated, but if you search

Yes, all teams use the same fuel.  100 octane.

> it, as this will reduce your efficiency.  I'd actually recommend gapless rings
> to help retain as much combustion pressure as possible.

We use gapless in the race.

> Also, you didn't specify if the competition disallows enhancers or modifiers to
> the engine's intake of fuel/air.

We aren't really willing to go in this direction yet.

The main goal is to take a ucontroller, an EGO sensor, an injector, and a
pump, and get them to work.  There are important design decisions to be
make in terms of software algorithms, injector placement, EGO type, etc,
and that's about all we'll have time for.

Heated fuel lines and the like are an interesting idea, and one I hadn't
yet encountered, but are too complicated at this stage, I think.  The most
important thing is that it _works_, reliably, at the competition.  We'd
rather build a well designed, simple system than an overly complex one.

Next year... well, that's another matter.  :-)

To give you an idea of the platform, see

http://smv.berkeley.edu/SMV_2002/31.html

It's somewhat crude (at least to someone who grew up with a full-size
dodge pickup ;-), but most of all cramped.  Our success has come from the
chassis and the shell being aerodynamic, but the tradeoff is that there
isn't much real estate available.  And only short people get to drive it.
:-)

-james