[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12 msgs

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 20:29:11 GMT 2002

--- Erik Jacobs <emj14 at columbia.edu> wrote:

> An inertial dyno is, for example, a dynojet??

Yes.

> What's an example of an eddy-current dyno??

Factory Pro, Mustang, Fuchs, Superflow are all eddy
current, with varying mass of the drum (the more
massive the drum, the more inertial factor you have to
"dial in".

> Well for someone who isn't fighting for tens of
> horsepower, let alone tenths of horsepower, is
> inertial dyno (dynojet) + wbo2 + competent tuner
good
> enough?? =)

*frown*  I'll have to give a qualified "that depends".
 the only thing that an inertial dyno can really
measure is a single load condition, beacuse you cannot
vary the load.  It also cannot be held on a load/speed
site for more than a small fraction of a second.

With carbs, I have found it to be a useful tool for
picking a main jet, since usually the roller is sized
to give a fair amount of load compared to maximum.
For tuning part-throttle and cruise mixtures, I have
not found it very much help at all, and driving the
car around and using an O2 sensor on the road would
probably net superior results than trying on the dyno
first and then going driving for the "final".  Again,
YMMV, and different kinds of applications may find
different hardware is better suited; this is only MY
experience with motorcycle engines (50-200 bhp) on
dynos designed for those vehicles.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |