[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12 msgs

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 20:37:04 GMT 2002

--- William Shurvinton <shurvinton at orange.net> wrote:

> Can you just clairfy this. We are short on 'popular'
> engine tuners here in the UK, but perceived wisdom
> here is that 4 gas is only useable on an engine
> dyno as response time is too slow for a chassis
> dyno.

I'm not exactly sure why it would make a difference!
:D  There's no reason you can't run a chassis dyno
indefinitely at a given load/speed site, assuming the
drivetrain and engine of the vehicle are up to it.

Again, the big trick is to get to your sample exhaust
gases as quickly as possible.  To get a solid reading
out of the tailpipe of a 1971 Pontiac would obviously
take a lot longer than to get a reading out of a 2002
Honda motorcycle.  I would recommend creating a port
in the exhaust after the collection point from the
header/manifold if you have a very long exhuast.  But
the analyzers have been improving steadily over recent
years as well.

> Have you found a way around this, or is your tuning
> limited to engine dyno work?

Actually, all the work I have every done with dynos
has been chassis dynos; again, though, they are
motorcycle chassis dynos.  My experience outside that
arena is extremely limited, and I cannot vouch for the
hardware being used in, say, automotive chassis dynos.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |