[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12 msgs

Erik Jacobs emj14 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 18 00:51:35 GMT 2002

> *frown*  I'll have to give a qualified "that depends".
>  the only thing that an inertial dyno can really
> measure is a single load condition, beacuse you cannot
> vary the load.  It also cannot be held on a load/speed
> site for more than a small fraction of a second.

Well, it just seems that dynojet type duno is the most popular out there
(there is a recent addition to the intertial dyno fambly where you kinda put
the car in these weird electromagnetic blocks or something and it can do 4
wheels... but I don't remember what it's called or who makes it.

> With carbs, I have found it to be a useful tool for
> picking a main jet, since usually the roller is sized
> to give a fair amount of load compared to maximum.
> For tuning part-throttle and cruise mixtures, I have
> not found it very much help at all, and driving the
> car around and using an O2 sensor on the road would
> probably net superior results than trying on the dyno
> first and then going driving for the "final".  Again,
> YMMV, and different kinds of applications may find
> different hardware is better suited; this is only MY
> experience with motorcycle engines (50-200 bhp) on
> dynos designed for those vehicles.

Well I'll be building a 4cyl turbocharged fuel injected auto engine looking
for 300 or so rwhp (as a dynojet would estimate)... I mean it'd be nice to
get the best tuning available, but that will probably not be in my budget =)