[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12 msgs

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Dec 18 01:18:31 GMT 2002

Within a limited torque range, some models of Dynojet can be used with
rpm/mph based loading.  I've done a few cals using this route.

Using the dynojet to tune WOT blasts gives reasonable results.  Using it to
tune part throttle cruise conditions requires using the brake, or constant
manipulation of the throttle and roller speed.  Tricky, but it can be done.

Using a braking type dyno to tune a car for WOT can produce misleading
results.  A lightweight car with a high power to weight ratio would
typically never see the same load and duration that can be applied with a
brake type dyno.  Running up to a specific rpm and holding that rpm while
fuel and spark are tuned in will tend to heat parts more than they would be
heated in "normal" operation.  The consequences can be more fuel/ less
spark than optimal get dialed into the final tune.  Power may be down, fuel
consumption may be up, or both can occur.  The inertial loads alone provide
more than enough resistance to provide an acceptable street and competition
tune for these vehicles.

To think that you can get a tune right "to the gnat's butt" on _any_ type
of dyno is to assume that you will be running under the same conditions
always.  No matter how an engine is tuned, someone has to check occasionaly
for signs that things aren't right.  The equipment is to get things closer,
sooner.

A wide band sensor mounted in the tailpipe can be used to provide a
successful tune, just like reading plugs can be used to provide a
successful tune.  To say that the length of the exhaust makes the sensor's
readings useless only implies that the tuner doesn't know what to do with
them.  It only takes a little practice making changes and watching results
to get a feel for how to use the results.

For many, many street cars, WB + inertial dyno + competent tuner is very
satisfactory.  The issue is finding a competent tuner.

Shannen