[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 20 04:14:04 GMT 2002

At 12:03 PM 19/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Hugh Keir <hugh at sol.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In short octane has everything to do with the speed
>> of the burn.
>
>I'd add that this is only completely true in pump gas.

In Australia we call this a 'load of bull', it is *not*
completely true under any circumstances Adam.

Your opinion is "broken and needs fixing" cause it perpetuates
an invalid unsophisticated myth stemming from a misunderstanding
of petrochemicals and what fuel companies do...

There 'might' be a minor correlation between higher octane
and speed of burn it aint a causual relationship and in fact
the opposite tends to be true to a much larger degree,

> Racing fuels often will burn more rapidly than pump
>gas without pinging.

yes, and the component petrochemicals are not woefully
dissimilar to that in pump gas, go talk to the fuel
companies - and not some apprentice at the first
level of contact...

You're way off the mark Adam, please dont put your
opinion re octane/burn rate in your book - you might
get sued...

Please check your references before putting anything
like that down on paper or in emails for that matter

<sigh>

rgds

mike