[Diy_efi] More power from a blown head gasket

Joshua Wingell wingell at charter.net
Fri Dec 20 16:35:05 GMT 2002

Mike wrote:
>Thats where your raped ape got its extra power, from
>water in the chambers - enough to perhaps increase CR
>(effectively) and reduce pinging for the short period of
>time,

That did occur to me.  However, my spark plugs weren't
green from the coolant.  And I was spewing a lot of
coolant from the oerflow.  My coolant hoses were
definitely pressurized by the combustion.  I think that
the major flow was out of the combustion chamber, not
into.

Also, since I was running 7% richer than normal and a
degree less timing than I normally do, I wouldn't have
been taking advantage of the water in the combustion
chamber.

You need to advance timing, run more boost, or run leaner
to take advantage of water injection.  I was running less
boost, richer, and retarded timing.

Oh, here is a jpg of the datalog.  I also have a CSV I can
share.

>Do you normally run a wet manifold ?

I assume that you mean water injection?  I have run it in
the past.  But I wasn't impressed with the results that
the silly spearco kit gave me.  I'll probably build a DIY
kit sometime in the next year, though, if only to spray my
rather small 18" FMIC.