[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Mos mos at sydney.net
Sat Dec 21 11:47:27 GMT 2002

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Mike wrote:

> We are not talking abnormal combustion, detonation is a meeting of
> flame fronts, one comes from the spark ignition - the other comes
> from that region of the chamber that spontaneously ignites due
> to either an instantaneous rise in temperature or pressure.

According to [my understanding of] Charles Fayette Taylor the peak
cylinder pressures resulting from the meeting of two flame fronts coming
from two spark plugs are essentially the same as a single spark point (in
comparison to pressures of detonation).

The photographs of combustion in his book seem to show that there is no
such thing that one could describe as a flame front when detonation occurs
- the unburnt remainder ignites throughout. I must reread the relevant
chapters, but I think to say that detonation is a meeting of flame fronts
is innacurate.

Mos.

--
84 AE86, 90 ST185GrpA, 91 MX83Gr, Sydney, Oz.