[Diy_efi] Individual cylinder retard

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sun Dec 22 23:02:49 GMT 2002

There is no magic to different retard for different cylinders.
Use a counter equal to the number of cylinders and count
ignition pulses.  Count to 8 for a V8, 6 for a 6, etc.  If a
knock is detected when the counter says 5, make a note
to retard the ignition pulse a bit more each time 5 comes
up.  Same process for every other count/cylinder.

The retard circuitry in my J & S doesn't know which ACTUAL
cylinder is which.  It just knows to retard the one which
knocks every time it comes around.  It even has an output
to tell the maximum retard, too bad you can't tell by cylinder.  Of
course there are switches to set, to tell it how many cylinders.

If you have waste fire coils, you need in effect a knock retard
system for each coil.  In that case you can tell within 2
cylinders, which one is knocking.  You would need something
on the order of a cam sensor input to determine an actual
cylinder.

Usually the tendency of individual cylinders to knock is rather
uneven.  The beauty of the J & S is that you can keep all other
cylinders at/near peak power and efficiency, while retarding
the offender(s).  The other problems of sorting knocks from
noise are still there.

Bruce Roe