[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #427 - 13 msgs

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 23 07:10:14 GMT 2002

This was a little while back and my friend was so 'put out'
after he cooled down and spoke to a lawyer he wanted nothing
more to do with *any* additive company... If I pressed him
on this it would open old wounds and I know you would not
get a relaxed response, there is nothing else you can discern
from his usage <shrug> He runs a diesel
engine advisory firm and found other people with anecdotal
evidence of problems with sludges etc So he was even less
interested in getting involved with disputes and slanging matches.

The thing is what compelling evidence is there that the
metal particles *wont* congeal - when it is in their physical
and chemical nature to do exactly that !  ?

Think about it, Lead and Copper are ionic metallic elements
that have a predisposition to clump togther and you'd need
some luck to have them stay separate - especially in say the
gear type oil pumps, that is more than likely to compress the
particles togther - with nothing in the non-ionic compounds
in oil to separate them again !

Also, copper forms a *very* hygroscopic compound with
nitrates which you will find in blowby gases !

Copper Nitrate is so badly hygroscopic that a dry crystal
will melt in its own agglomerated fluid - and you want
that floating around in an engine - no way hose-aye !

Also Copper carbonate is a tad abrasive and that is
another compound that can easily form from blowby <sigh>

No amount of engine preparation that I've seen will
instill any degree of comfort for the addition of
lead or copper particles *especially* when there is
no compelling evidence of a 'force' or compound to
keep them from congealing - except the income derived
from selling them...

The only thing I add/do to my turbo engine is a small
amount of wynns oil thickener and an oil change each
3000-4000K with Mobil 1 synthetic, although my engine
has done some 230,000K or so it doesnt rattle or
hiccup mechanically and its tuned to give about 170KW
at the flyhweel...

rgds

mike