[Diy_efi] Are you sure the Safeguard uses a DSP?

Nick Starai true at ItsYourDomain.com
Mon Dec 23 22:08:51 GMT 2002

> Nick,
>
> You said....
>
> >The J&S uses DSP.

John hasn't emailed me back but I got this from another source:

'Now that we have a working knowledge of detonation and what causes it,
let's take a detailed look at the Safeguard. Like many OEM applications,
the Safeguard utilizes a knock sensor. This device is essentially a high
quality microphone that screws into the engine's block. The knock sensor
is tuned to respond most strongly to those frequencies that are known to
accompany detonation. The sensor sends its acoustic information to the
Safeguard's control unit where this data is processed by the Safeguard's
Digital Signal Processor (DSP). The DSP employs a proprietary knock
sensing scheme that is impressively capable of discriminating between
knocking (even knocking that is not audible to the driver) and normal
engine noises (valvetrain, accessories, etc.). '

Referenced from: http://acc-electronics.com/cloud/KnockControl.html