[Diy_efi] Re: Pressure Valves and boiling

Phil Lamovie phil at injec.com
Wed Dec 25 17:32:13 GMT 2002

Lance wrote,

> While I know that the pressure at the cap isn't the same
> system wide, it does set pressure at a known point in the system.
> Unless I am completely misunderstanding the physics of the
> situation.

Hands up who can describe the difference between a pressure
regulator and a pressure relief valve.

As a pressure relief valve it doesn't "set the pressure" anywhere.
The system temp and the water pump and rpm of the engine and
the degree of radiator restriction and one other factor cause the
pressure
to rise

> I agree that a pre pressurized system will minimize nucleate boiling
sooner

No it won't. And you don't want it too. Nucleate boiling is not
boiling in a
normal sense. It has much more usable characteristics than free
boiling
which gives rise to the big bubbles and cracked heads.

this has some easy to follow graphs

 http://www.hlrs.de/organization/aw/services/cfd/Teach/UserConferences/FluxExpertWS/ITW/ITW_Inhalt.html

don't forget to paste the tail if it wraps

HTH

phil