[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Wed Dec 25 22:19:13 GMT 2002

> Er, check your math.  It would gain a hundredth of
> that.

Well, whatever the case is (that was salt water anyways), it expands enough
to push out coolant into the overflow. Hence the "hot" and "cold" markings.
I am only familar with Supras and DSMs, but given that both those engines
can support power levels about 3x their stock value, I'd say it works.

I remember reading about people measuring the diff. between hot 7 cold on
their overflow to determine if the HG was starting to go.

I understand if the pressure were to lower, the cap obviously cannot
regulate it, its just a relief valve. But if your cooling system is doing
its job (no overheating and/or boiling), pressure should be more or less the
same shouldn't it?

> I'd also point out that if your coolant never exceeds
> its boiling point at a given pressure and with the
> flow volume being X, then changing system pressure
> isn't going to make a difference in localized boiling.

Wouldn't it always exceed boiling temp in the localized hot spots of the
block? Obviously the total system temp shouldn't....

Grant