Turbo for flowbench

marko.cosic marko.cosic at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 6 21:23:29 GMT 2002

Yikes,
Andrew, Marko, Bryon, Jesse, and anyone else, where's
your sense of humor?

I thought the 'wacky' comment would be enough of a
clue, but certainly the part about jacking up the rear
end and using the Cruise Control made it clear.

>Some of use just aren't as sane as we first appear. I'm not ;-), and your ideas
weren't that far off-the wall as far as things in this house go! It was only
last week that we decided we needed extraction for the garage when spraying and
that we were too stingy to bu yanything. Two 16", 300W electric car fans, one
600VA 440V to 24V (or 220V to 24V) transformer, and 25 PC power supplies
(stripped to recover the rectifiers) later and we had mains-12V AC-50A 12V DC
via 25 rectifiers-Two big fans. Naturally all materials were scrap, though I
concede we did pay £15 ($25) for the two fans... 110% didn't realise you were
kidding!

Now, more seriously here, I have heard of a conversion
where one bank of a V-8 is used as an air compressor.
The spark plug wires are disconnected, the intake
manifold gets sliced and blocked, etc.

>Ideally a V8 with a flat-plane (4-cyl inline like) crank, so you've effectively
two 4-cyl engines joined together in an efficient manner. Say it was a 250bhp
engine to start with, then (in simpleton terms) you'd have 125bhp drive and
enough airflow for 125bhp. Now so long as each inlet port on your tested head
isn't feeding more than 125bhp, you've plenty of air. (preparing to ahve this
overly-simple theory taken apart) A simple actuator on the throttle linked to a
MAP sensor in the driven bank's exhaust manifold could maintain your 25" H20, or
even a relief valve set to 25" H20 screwed into the manifold.

Looking at that linked Popular Hot Rod article however there seems little
point - 1000-1200W vacuum cleaner fan/motor assemblies are £25-30 ($35-40) NEW
even in the UK, and the other pieces mentioned seem inexpensive enough. Add to
that a UK domestic supply is 90A at 230V, and that each plug is rated to
13A/230V, or 3.1kW, 3 or 6 motors don't pose supply problems. Dear mom, for
xmas, I'd like...

Marko