switching circuit for crank ref. signal needed (please help)

Jorgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Fri Feb 8 19:34:14 GMT 2002

Orin wrote:

> The actual Audi input circuit for the timing reference sensor is out
> on the ftp site incoming directory in mac11schem.zip.  This is the
> order of complexity required to process that signal.  A 4066 could be
> snuck in on the input side, but I'd gate the output from the
> comparator with the hall sensor signal.  A 74x00 would be enough -
> even if both inputs and output needed inverting...

The idea was to use the 555 to enlarge the time window of the cam reference
pulse, I wrote without thinking. Enlarging the physical window in the
distributors trigger wheel is a better option.

> > I have thought about another option, if all three stock sensors are
> > connected to a small microcontroller you could let the
> microcontroller count
> > the teeth on the flywheel and keep track of the two sync
> sensors. That way
> > you could simulate a suitable trigger setup.
>
> Easier to leave the stock ECU connected and pull the signals out of it
> after signal conditioning.  Not too hard to do given the schematic.
> I've pulled these signals out for my data aquisition board
> without a problem.

True, but not effective if you do a turbo transplant on a 80q. You wouldn't
know how to extract the knock signal from the ecu, would you?

When my rpm trigger failed I could not find a single suitable trigger on any
of the local junkyards, other people here in Sweden has had the same
problem. There is a strong demand on these triggers.

Jorgen