Instructs for DIY_WB US KIT

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Feb 14 06:54:17 GMT 2002

> I could use a set of instructions if they exists for the wide band
> assembly.  A friend of mine gave me
> a DIY board.  I bought all the digikey parts I saw on this lists and the
> honda sensor.    I noticed the board is fairly well laid out with
> respect to what goes where, but I could use some pointers for assembly.

Paul, my brother and I recently assembled a DIY-WB kit.  We still have to
install the voltage regulator and large ceramic resistor.  Here are a couple
pointers from a newbie:

1) When soldering, I found it easiest to hold the iron vertical, and insert
the tip directly into the hole, sandwiching the wire.  This heated the area
very quickly (within a couple seconds), and I could apply solder
immediately.  If you don't get good contact, you'll have to hold the iron on
longer, and maybe risk damaging a component???

2) We had to use soldering flux.  Regardless of our technique, the solder
flowed much better when we used flux to clean the area.  We used a toothpick
to apply tiny bits of flux.  I noticed the flux got under the metal traces,
but I don't think this will cause trouble???

3) We started with resistors and worked our way to the capacitors.  If you
start with tall parts, when you get to the resistors, there is no way to
hold them in place.

Any experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a copy of an email from Hugh Keir.  I used it during assembly and
found it very helpful:

I have little experience soldering components to circuit boards and for
those who are similarly lacking in experience, here is a list of the things
that I did not know and had to find out in order to put the components in to
the correct circuit position on the circuit boards.

I have to warn you that I have not tested the circuit, so can not as yet
confirm whether I am correct.

All the resistors came pre identified and stuck to a sheet of paper all you
have to do is pull it off the paper and stick it in the correct location on
the circuit board. All of the colour codes are also listed under each
resistor and all of them matched the description given you can solder them
in any way round, although the guy I spoke to said it was good form to have
all the gold bands going the same way as it makes it easier to read them if
you are checking the circuit later.

I then used the descriptions on the digikey part's list
ftp://diy-efi.org/pub/diy_efi/project_files/diy_wb1/WBO2DigikeyBOM.txt to
identify the remaining components.

I thought I knew what a capacitor looks like, but there are several
different types as follows:

The first surprise was that the LED isn't just a light but it's also a diode
and has to go in the correct way round, close inspection will show the short
leg lines up with a flat on the rim of the LED and this aligns to the double
bar end on the circuit board graphic.

D1,D6,D7,D10        these are the smallest copper colour and are aligned
black end to the double lined graphic.

D3  big black one, needed to ream the holes to make it fit.

D4,D9  these are the larger copper colour

D8  LM 385 black three legs cant go wrong

D11,D5   LM 431 black three legs cant go wrong

Next surprise is the capacitors - lots of different types.
For the ones that have a long and a short leg, the long leg is +

 C12                    3.3uf,50v,elec,radial       blue cylinder

 C1,C6,C16        10uf,25v,elec,radial         blue cylinders

C5                      22uf,25v,elec,radial          blue cylinder

 C11                   47uf,16v,elec,radial         blue cylinder

 C3,C4               10uf,25v,tantalum,radial        brown lump round

 C7                     0.1uf,10%,100v,poly,     brown lump small rectangle

C10                    1uf,10%,100v,poly,radial   brown lump big rectangle

C2                      0.1uf,25v,cer disc,radial         orange plate

 C8,C9,C13,C14         0.1uf,50v,mono cer    yellow small on strip