is there a picture reference for sensors and stuff?

Jacob Kooser jake_k at attglobal.net
Wed Feb 20 07:25:37 GMT 2002

Hi everybody, I'm posting this here 'cause I think it's more on-topic than
for the GMECM list.  I'm in the slow process of converting my '85 suburban
to TPI, and I have a bunch of bits from the TBI van that the engine came out
of.  The obvious stuff, like '7747 / '7730 ECMs, I can figure out, but I'm
trying to determine what other parts are interchangeable.  The engine has a
knock sensor and coolant temp sensor mounted on it, are these the same?
Also, I have lots of other gizmos that the TBI used, like the ESC module,
the small distributor with separate coil, MAP sensor (I think?), and a few
other bits that I don't know.  Is there a "TPI for dummies" reference around
somewhere, like one with pictures?  Or, should I bust out the camera and add
that to my website?  Kind of a "name that thingy" page...  Also, are part
numbers on GM parts anywhere?  I'm kind of spoiled by VW - they put part #s
on everything, like 311 906 052 is the fuel injector for my '71 squareback
IIRC.  I want to ID all this stuff so I can get started on wiring it all up.
Thanks,

Jake Kooser