expansion of fuel/air mixture

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 27 19:24:17 GMT 2002

At 4:35 PM 2/21/02, Camden Lindsay wrote:
>I was (probably inaccuratley) trying to figure in-cylinder pressure at full
>throttle bottom dead center (beginning of exhaust stroke), thinking about
>how cams are designed in terms of open/close ramp, time and such.  Is there
>any fairly accurate way to approximate this, depending on engine swept
>volume, compression ratio, volumetric efficiency and fuel ratio?
>thanks again
>camden

Yep, there is a reasonably accurate way, but it's not a short way !

You need to calculate your way around the cycle, and figure out what you
have left at BDC . To ballpark it, with an NA engine, at sea level, and at
WOT, the number will likely be somewhere between 50 and 90 psia (ABSOLUTE)
at (or near) BDC when the exhaust valve opens.

Greg