wbo2 testing question

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Wed Jan 2 21:13:18 GMT 2002

OK, here's a couple ideas on checking the heater circuit.

Connect a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor and a voltmeter to the
heater terminals.  Apply 14 volts to the battery input.  The
voltage at the heater terminals should rise in a few
seconds to between 10 and 10.5 volts.  Move the
voltmeter to across the 1 ohm 5 watt WB resistor, and
the voltage should be around 1 volt.  The heater LED
should come on.

Repeat the tests using a 5 ohm  10 watt resistor.  A
pair of 10 ohm in parallel will work.  The voltage across
the 5 ohm should be around 6.25 volt, and across the
1 ohm, 1.25 volt.  The LED should not come on.  Do
not leave this powered any longer than necessary to
make the measurements, or the heater regulator will
get very hot.

Bruce Roe