Advice requested for choosing aftermarket EFI system

Kevin Wright krwright at wankel.net
Mon Jan 7 22:00:54 GMT 2002

Just for clarity, Jefferson St. is actually in Grand Prairie, south
and slightly west of Dallas.
There are a bunch of You-Pull-It and They-Pull-It yards there, and
quite a few more scattered all over South Dallas.

In Fort Worth, there's a fair number up and down Elliot Reeder Road, as well.

In short, we've got a lot of auto wrecking yards around here! :)

As far as that radiator, my dad got a new one for their Olds
Silhouette recently. $200 or so, I think, but don't quote me.

krw

...and lo, thus spake K.T. on 1/6/02:
>In Dallas, there are a large number of WYs all lined up next to each
>other on east Jefferson street. One outfit (Alstate) had several
>large boxes in a back room, filled with pulled ECMs from all types
>of vehicles. Great find if you know what you're looking for.
>Unfortunately I don't remember his prices, and have misplaced my
>receipt, but $35 sounds like the right ballpark. I haven't been down
>there for about a year, but could forward you a bunch of phone
>numbers off-list. In Ft Worth, a bunch of WYs are lined up on
>Mansfield Hwy. I've paid as low as $10 for ECMs (a supposedly
>defective 7730 purchased just for the MemCal, that turned out to
>work just fine.) If you tell these guys when they write up the
>receipt, that you're buying as is, no warrantee/exchange privilege,
>and leaving the country, they might even give you a break on the
>price. Of course, with electronics, you're taking your chances. ;-)
>
>>Are $35 scrappy ECMs a regular find, or do they require the inside knowledge
>>gained from x years (x>20 ) 'in the business'. I ask because I'm flying out
>>to Dallas (via Seattle) in a couple of weeks and will be stocking up on some
>>bits (Trans sport needs new rad, over $400 here in UK).

Kevin Wright
krwright at wankel.net
krwright at ev1.net
http://www.wankel.net/~krwright