help needed regarding EFI theories, configurations and stuff

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Tue Jan 8 05:49:18 GMT 2002

A really good starting point is the EFI 332 page where there is lots of good
stuff on algorithms. The megasquirt home page is also good, as a few reads
through the assembler give you a good idea of another way of doing it. Then
trawl the archives.

I am very new to this too, and have rapidly realised that you can have too
much theory and the best way is to get a car that you don't need every day
and start playing. Otherwise you get into what we call in UK 'man in pub
syndrome' where you can waffle on about this and that all day without
knowing what you are talking about.

Good examples of 'man in pub' are
Speed density vs MAF vs TPS
port injection vs TBI

All have merits, all can be made to work really well, and all have web
loudmouths who will produce pages going on about how great/crap a particular
system is, without ever having built and tuned an engine around one.

Oh FWIW I am currently at 'man in pub' level. I aim to graduate to next
level this year (EFI cretin?)

And finally a spot of humility helps. There are guys on the list who have
been hands on petrol heads longer than some of the rest of us have been on
this planet. They have real experience, which counts for a lot more than 'a
mates brother said .....down the bar'.

Bill

P.S. Just in case other listers think I have finally lost my marbles, I am
just reeling at the gains in tractability my car has after a bit of help off
list (carb issues) from Bruce and Greg, and I've hardly started working
through the full range, so I'm putting in a plug for people who not only
have the experience, but are willing to share it with wet behind the ears
limeys like me.