GM ECU in 4 pot

Shurvinton Bill (NET/Camberley) bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
Thu Jan 17 00:06:41 GMT 2002

Hi,

I apologise that this is sort of a GM list question, but I know a lot of
you double lurk.

Anyway I am looking at putting a C3 or P4 ECM into a car to run a
vauxhall engine, basically to prove it can be done. One of the things I
have been looking at is injector staging and reckon I have a cunning
plan.

If I understand it, in normal operation, the TBI ECUs fire the injectors
alternately and every 90°. At high load they fire async (both together).
Therefore If you connected a NAND gate to the injector drive lines and
hooked this to an additional injector driver, going into async mode
would automatically switch in the extra injectors.

I need to look at the code for async mode to see how it decides to
engage, but does this seem as if it might be doable. Other option is to
hook into to an unused output that could be commanded at a particular
RPM (no TCC, no EGR).

Also has anyone has experience putting these onto 4 pot motors?

Rgds

Bill