Fuel pump relay

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 23:18:55 GMT 2002

Hi list,
I hope this is on topic, although it is a little generic.
I was driving down the road the other day when my engine died.  It turned out to be the fuel pump relay.  So I bought a new one, put it in, and it lasted about a second (after I switched on the ignition) before it died.
 Obviously, something is drawing to much current. I could not find any shorts in the wiring, so that would leave the fuel pump.  However, if I jumper fuel pump, it seems to work fine and the car runs fine.

So here is the question:  Can an EFI in-line fuel pump (Bosch) go 'bad' and draw too much current, while at the same time still be capable of functioning, albeit at a much higher amperage than normal?

 I don't have anything capable of measuring enough current (10a max)to test it and don't know how much current to look for in any case.
Or should I look elswhere...where?
I have run out of ideas with my limited knowledge, and while jumping the pump straight from the battery got me home, it is not an acceptable long term solution! :)

Thank you very much for any help,
Tom