Fuel Pump Relay

Rodney Fulk rfulk at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 18 21:21:19 GMT 2002

This also happens when the wire gauge is not sufficient enough for the
current carried. The copper slowly burns up and gets more and more resistant
along the way. This is what happens in the '94 caprices in relation to their
cooling fans. They put in larger fan motors then the wire can handle. Over
time the wire its self gets burnt and is black in color if you strip back
the casing. Then the current relay socket will not handle the power needed
to get through this now burnt wire. GM's fix is to use a bigger relay and a
different socket.
Still use the same wires but apparently they don't get hot enough to catch
anything on fire....

In some cases rewiring the whole system is the only option if the wire gets
too bad. And if you do that you should use one gauge higher then you did...