Fuel Pressure and Pump?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Jan 19 01:42:52 GMT 2002

In this case, it sounds like the factory pump may be insufficient.  Is the
factory LT1 regulator still on the fuel rails?  If it is not damaged, then it
should be regulating pressure to factory levels, provided there is sufficient
fuel volume.

One quick test to check the pump's ability to provide pressure would be to pinch
the return line and watch the pressure rise on a gauge.  If it does not rise
considerably, the pump is not going to work.

You should also check volume.  You can do this indirectly by driving with the
gauge installed and watching pressure changes.  Accelerate, power brake, drive
up a large hill.  If the pressure is consistently at 35 psi, and the above
"pinch off" test indicates that the pump can build pressure, then you may have a
bad regulator.  But if fuel pressure drops way off, then insufficient fuel is
being delivered to the engine.  Providing the fuel filter is not plugged, the
pump would be the most likely suspect.

If the diagnosis pointed to the tank, I would first try to replace the in-tank
pump with something able to provide enough fuel.  I've had to troubleshoot a few
draw-through, two pump systems, and the in tank pump can sometimes present
considerable restriction.  If the in tank pump can provide a large volume of
fuel at low pressure, then a two pump system is a reasonable option.  But using
an in-line pump to draw fuel out of the tank can cause problems, imhe.

Shannen