Throttle-by-Wire

Phil Hunter ilphayunterhay at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 17:18:33 GMT 2002

>Does Ford put TBW on any of it's vehicles or is
>there any vehicle that i could pull a TBW off of
>in the junkyard to retrofit to a project?

Don't even think about it! It's my STRONG opinion that TBW is
strickly "off limits" for DIYers. Too many things can happen
that you hadn't thought of, w/ serious consequences.

Control loops can be tricky, not even rocket scientists always
get it right. Check out all the problems the Formula 1 teams had
last year w/ traction control, all the money & talent they threw
at the problem, many didn't get it right. Do you know what PID
stands for and what's use? Good at calculus?

If you really want to "cut your teeth" on TBW, consider doing
a governor for something like an AC generator, just keeping a
constant RPM w/ a variable load will be quite an education.

And if you insist on doing TBW for a vehicle, better have a
couple of redundant kill mechanisims such as a thumb button
for the driver that "latches" on and removes power from the
fuel injectors, a second throttle butterfly to cut air flow,
etc.

TBW holds a lot of promise, but leave it to the OEMs, DIYers
are not qualified, not even to retrofit an OEM device.

regards,
philh
(digest)