Throttle-by-Wire

Bob - Uni rcs07 at uow.edu.au
Sun Jan 20 04:40:29 GMT 2002

Hello Bernd,

I guess that is a case of manufacturers implimenting the system as a
"do what I mean" system instead of "do what I say" so that John H
Citizen can get in the car and drive with that little bit more safety.
I recall reading an article a while back on manufacturers
doing/researching this kind of thing. One that sticks out in my memory
is a system where the ECU interupted steering and braking so that in
a situation where the driver is braking and steering to avoid
something and the vehicle starts to understeer and lock the brakes,
they panic and hit the brakes harder and turn the steering more - the
ecu interprets this as "I want to slow down as much as possible and
turn more in that direction" so comes off the brakes a bit and
straightens the wheels a little.
Personally I will do without ABS, traction control etc for as long as
I can.

--
Best regards,
 Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au