Throttle-by-Wire

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 20 05:19:57 GMT 2002

At 10:37 PM 1/19/02, bcroe at juno.com wrote:
>Yes, and you forgot to mention jet planes.  I think they are
>triple redundant.  Bruce Roe

Was talking to a guy who was _WAY_into redundant controls once upon a time.
He got into how they do it with PLC's on the space shuttle.

Apparently, there are five redundant control units for any given control
function.  At any one time, three of them are operational and vote. If it
isn't unanimous, they throw out the odd one, and activate the fourth unit.
If it STILL isn't unanimous, they throw out that one and activate the
fifth.

Greg