Getting started-soldering station

Orin orin
Mon Jan 21 05:33:04 GMT 2002

> Someone,
> Is it necessary to spend the extra $$ to get a solder station with a
> grounded tip/other features to help prevent ESD damage to any of the
> components used on the WB O2??  Or is this overkill for this type of
> project??
>
> How about components used on the Megasquirt??

I'd recommend a 25W iron with a 1/16th inch tip.  You probably won't be
soldering static sensitive components - they are usually socketed.
You can touch the iron tip to ground before soldering if you are
paranoid.  I used a Weller for some EFI332 work before I got my Edsyn
soldering station.

> Pages 232 thru 235 of the Radio Shack catalog have a wide range of choices.
> Would someone with a lot of PCB assembly and other electronic experience and
> an RS catalog recommend which of these would be appropriate for a
> beginner/hobby level involvement - not for starting a new career.

I don't have a catalog, but looking online, perhaps the 64-2055 would work.
Take a look at the size of the tip.  If you are prepared to order online,
then I'd suggest the Weller WP25 and an ST1 tip - see www.digikey.com.
I think Radio Shack list this model, but it's out of stock.  I built the
original EFI332 board with this combination.

BTW, I now have an Edsyn 951SX which I am quite happy with.  I leave it set
close to 700 deg F for most work.

I'd also suggest getting some 63/37 tin/lead solder.  It's harder to
make mistakes with it - it's either liquid or it's solid.  Moving a
joint when other types of solder are in the intermediate 'plastic'
state can cause problems.  In general, the thinner the solder, the better
for this kind of work.  I use some .028" (0.71mm) diameter by Multicore,
though brand isn't critical.

Orin.