Throttle-by-Wire

Will McGonegal McGonegal.Will at etc.ec.gc.ca
Mon Jan 21 13:52:52 GMT 2002

My new Nissan Sentra SER 2.5L has throttle by wire.  The accelerator pedal is a unit that only has wires going to it.

For DIYer's trying to implement such a system, it may be best to have a regular
cable actuated throttle plate in series with the throttle by wire unit.  That
way either the computer or human can limit the air intake.

Heavy duty diesel trucks have had accelerators by wire for some time now.  We've
dyno tested Detroit Diesels, Cummins, and Caterpillar engines that have no
actual rack to move for altering the fuel delivery.

Will McGonegal